The Migration program is designed to achieve a range of economic and social outcomes. The program is set annually, with the total places available capped at a ceiling of 160,000 for 2020-21. The total program is broken down into the following streams:
- Skill – designed to improve the productive capacity of the economy and fill skill shortages in the labour market, including those in regional Australia. In 2020-21, the Skill stream has 79,600 places allocated.
- Family – is predominately made up of Partner visas, enabling Australians to reunite with family members from overseas, and provide them with pathways to citizenship (77,300 places in 2020-21).
- Special Eligibility – this covers visas for those in special circumstances. This can include permanent residents returning to Australia after a period away, and is the smallest stream (100 places in 2020-21).
- At least 3,000 Child places will be available in 2020-21.
|Stream and Category||2020-21|
|Business Innovation & Investment program||13,500|
|Child (estimate; not subject to a ceiling)||3,000|
Program size and composition
The size and composition of the Migration program is set each year through the Australian Government’s Budget process. It is informed following broad public consultations with state and territory governments, business and community groups and the wider public. Community views, economic and labour force forecasts, international research, net overseas migration and economic and fiscal modelling are all taken into account when planning the program.
State and Territory nominated visa categories –
2020-21 nomination allocations
Under the 2020-21 Migration Program settings, nomination allocations are made available to States and Territories in the following categories:
- Skilled – Nominated (subclass 190)
- Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) (subclass 491)
- Business Innovation and Investment Program (BIIP)
States and Territories each assess eligible applicants against a criteria unique to their jurisdiction.
Further information regarding State and Territory nomination requirements can be found at:
- ACT – Skilled Visa – ACT nomination
- NSW – NSW Government Visas and Immigration
- VIC – Live in Melbourne
- QLD – Migration Queensland
- NT – Northern Territory Visa nomination eligibility
- WA – Business Migration Western Australia (BIIP) or Skilled Migration Western Australia (190 and 491 visas)
- SA – Migration South Australia
- TAS – Migration Tasmania
Following consultation with States and Territories, the following nomination levels have been allocated for 2020-21:
|State||Skilled Nominated (Subclass 190) Visa||Skilled Work Regional (Subclass 491) visa||Business Innovation and Investment Program (BIIP)|