When considering what and where to study, Vivid  Education will match your academic interests and your career goals with course information from universities and institutions across Australia. It is very important that you think about the convenience of the study location for you, the institution’s ranking, the amount of time you would like to spend away from home, the total cost of studying and living in Australia. Our counsellors will be able to guide you on the courses, institutions and locations that best meet your preferences.

There are a number of steps you must go through including:

  • Deciding on your preferred course and institution.
  • Submitting your application to the institution.
  • Receiving and accepting a Letter of Offer.
  • Receiving your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE).

There are a range of entry requirements that you will need to meet both for your institution application and your visa application. This can include:

  • Academic requirements.
  • English language requirements.
  • Evidence of funds to support your study.
  • Overseas student health cover.

There are five different tests accepted for Australian student visa applications:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
  • Occupational English Test (OET)
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE).

There are a limited number of scholarships available for international students. The amount varies by level of study and by institution. Scholarships are competitive and you need to demonstrate exceptional academic achievements. Visit https://www.education.gov.au/international-postgraduate-research-scholarships more details

It is recommended you begin your application process at least six months in advance to give enough time for your applications to be processed and to prepare for your time in Australia.

Yes , but condition applies .If you are intending to change education provider, you should contact your current education provider for information. In most circumstances the new education provider will be restricted from enrolling you if you have not completed six months of the main course of study for which your visa was granted.

Applying for a visa online by coordinating with an e-visa agent through the DIBP website

Yes, in order to get a student visa, you will have to meet a set of requirements as put forward by the Immi.Gov.Au website. The eligibility criteria changes depending on the visa sub-class that you are applying for like Independent ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students), Schools, Vocational Education and Training, Higher Education, Masters and Doctorate, and others). These are a few of the basic requirements:

  • You should be able to cover the expenses of airfares to Australia, accommodation charges, tuition fee and other living expenses.
  • You should have satisfactory score on English language proficiency test like IELTS, TOEFL, CAE or PTE.
  • You should be able to provide complete documentation of your academic record, relevant to the course you are applying for.
  • Has your visa application to Australia or another country been declined in the past? You should have all the required documentation about past immigration history.
  • You should pass all the health and character requirements. A declaration will need to be attached to the application form.
  • You should have obtained OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) before applying for a visa

The SSVF is intended to replace existing streamlined visa processing and AL framework arrangements.

Under the SSVF, the combined immigration risk outcomes of the student’s education provider and country of citizenship will be used to guide the level of documentation relating to financial capacity and English language proficiency that the student would need to provide with their student visa application.

Additionally, students would no longer apply for a specific student visa subclass applicable to their level of study, for example, subclass 573 for Higher Education. Rather, there is only one student visa subclass (500) for which all prospective students will apply.

Once your visa is approved, you will be starting a new journey into a beautiful country! Upon arrival in Australia, ensure that you contact the High Commission or Consulate with relevant information like your contact details, name and details of the university and course you will be studying as well as how long you intend to stay in the country.

Orientation is compulsory for international students and you will need to make sure you arrive in Australia early enough to attend one. During Orientation, you will find out important information about your stay and studies in Australia.

In certain circumstances, you may be able to attend a later orientation, if you are unable to attend the official one. Please inform your university in case of late arrival

Australia is diverse in its geography and climate. Being in the southern hemisphere Australia’s summer starts in December and winter in June. Nearly a third of Australia is in the tropics where the average temperatures are in the mid 20 degrees Celsius. The southern areas are in a temperate zone.

The Department of Home Affairs has financial requirements you must meet in order to receive a student visa. Below is a guide on the requirements you must meet to study in Australia.

As of October 2019, the 12-month living costs are;

    • For students or guardians – AUD$21,041
    • For partners coming with you – AUD$7,362
    • For a child coming with you – AUD$3,152

Australia has a large range of accommodation options available to international students. With choices ranging from university accommodation or home stay to self-catered apartments or share houses, there’s an option to suit every personality and budget.

Many Australian education providers have accommodation services that offer information and advice about the different accommodation options and help students find appropriate accommodation to suit their needs. This service may also be able to arrange temporary accommodation for students when they first arrive in Australia. Students can contact their institution’s accommodation service before their arrival in Australia to arrange this.

The cost and availability of accommodation in Australia depends on the type you choose. For instance, on-campus accommodation is very popular and requires students to apply for a room well in advance, whereas rental accommodation tends to be more readily available and can often be organised when you arrive. You will also find that costs and availability vary between states and territories, as well as between metropolitan and regional areas.

Prior to your arrival in Australia, it is important to contact your education institution’s accommodation service and ask about what is available and the costs involved.

The costs below are an approximate guide only and don’t take into account your budget and spending habits.


  • Hostels and Guesthouses – $90 to $150 per week
  • Shared Rental – $95 to $215 per week
  • On-campus – $110 to $280 per week
  • Homestay – $235 to $325 per week
  • Rental – $185 to $440 per week
  • Boarding schools – $11,000 to $22,000 a year

Other living expenses

  • Groceries and eating out – $100 to $250 per week
  • Gas, electricity – $10 to $20 per week
  • Phone and Internet – $15 to $30 per week
  • Public transport – $30 to $60 per week
  • Car (after purchase) – $150 to $260 per week
  • Entertainment – $80 to $150 per week

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) requires all students, who are studying in Australia on a Student visa, to maintain OSHC for the duration of their Student visa.

Only Belgian, Norwegian and some Swedish students are not required to purchase OSHC as part of their visa requirements and will be covered under their country’s Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) with Australia.

From 2016, all commencing students will be required to pay for their OSHC policy.

No. Only Australian registered private health insurers can offer OSHC. This is because the Australian Government wants to be able to monitor and regulate insurers covering people living temporarily in Australia. The Government is not able to protect the interests of people insured by overseas insurance companies in the same way.

Your student visa gives you permission to work up to a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during your studies on session (any volunteer or unpaid work also counts towards this limit). During session breaks or holidays, students can work full-time or unlimited hours.

After a student has commenced study, their dependents may also work or apply for their permission to work. Please refer to your visa conditions. 

Yes. When your study is not in session like summer holidays, you are not restricted by limited hours of work.

FAQ didn’t solve your queries?

Ask a question then.

4 + 4 = ?